Monday, March 16, 2009

Drug Movies

Recession cutting into your drug habit? I've got a solution that you've probably heard of and already indulged in. 
Rewind. When I was in high school I began my dvd "collection". Most of these early movies were leftovers from girl's nights at my house and were never redeemed, and some were birthday presents from people who didn't know me very well, but as a result, the first few dvds in my collection were "Charlie's Angels", "Bridget Jones' Diary", and "The Princess Diaries". Bad start, "Diaries" and "Angels" do not a film collection make. 
But, I digress, and luckily, I discovered Amazon.com in college. I remembered all the old movies that my dad forced me to watch on TNT Sunday nights, I watched "Spun" in a fraternity bedroom, and I borrowed "Traffic" from a girl down the hall. The rest is history, a love story between a girl and her addiction--to movies about addicts, or selling drugs, or people getting their faces punched in because of drug money...well, you get the picture. 
I like to laugh my ass off at Seth Rogan and his silly man-boy antics, I thoroughly enjoy the Oscar winning films of yore (and present), and "The Wizard of Oz" will always hold a very special place in my heart (regardless of the field of poppies), however, props to the Drug Movies.
Lots of people like them...so this isn't a weird quirk I have, but I think it's worth pointing out that waking up and popping in "Pulp Fiction" is a great way to start your Saturday morning. And I'm pretty sure that I just ordered "Blow" and "Boogie Nights" from Amazon yesterday (I know...I should've already owned them). Umm, I forced my roommates to watch "True Romance" roughly 34 times last year, "GoodFellas" made me proud to be half-Italian, and I think that I told someone once that I wanted to lose 40 pounds and play a junkie. Oh yeah, and "Trainspotting".

Bottom Line: Drug movies might be better than drugs...they're certainly cheaper and less illegal...and they probably have a longer shelf life...and your mom most likely won't cry if she finds them in your apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment