Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Peanut Butter


About a month ago I came home from work hungry and decided to park myself on the couch with my current obsession (pictured left) and watch some mindless tv. 3 episodes of That 70s Show and half a jar later (literally, half the jar) I found myself on top of a sugar high, lying wide-eyed in bed wondering how I could possibly fit into my jeans the next morning. But you know what? It was worth it, and I'm not just saying that. It was actually worth the 500 (or some odd) grams of fat and the several hours of sleep lost. Seriously. It is, in fact, that good.

I truly LOVE peanut butter. There is no arguing this point. Peanut butter must be the greatest invention ever. Apparently, if Wikipedia is right, which it probably isn't, the Aztecs first mashed peanuts into paste hundreds of years ago...and then, in 1884 a guy named Marcellus Something (he was Canadian, whatever) invented a process of milling roasted peanuts until they had a "butter"-y consistency. Then the Kellogg guy got a patent for "Nut Butter" in 1897. But, however it started, I'm happy about how its turned out. In fact, I'm so happy that I eat it every day. It's why I keep running and can't seem to lose any weight.
Mostly, I eat it plain, while drinking a glass of milk and watching Friends and then the transition into Sex and The City on the CW on weeknights. Sometimes, I dip a spoon in peanut butter and then put a little strawberry jelly on top and eat that together. It's like a sandwich, without the carbs (rationalizing works wonders). 

I will point out, however, that Smuckers has the best standard, non-fancy, peanut butter. Natural, creamy (or chunky), Smuckers is by far the most delicious. There's really no difference in taste between their organic, reduced-fat, or just standard natural. I am a peanut butter snob, so I don't like non-natural peanut butter. Skippy, Jif, no thanks. Judge as you will, but I am not willing to compromise here. There is no discussion. It has to be the natural stuff. Sorry, kids.

This past summer, though, I discovered Peanut Butter & Co. I don't know if they sell their jars outside of NYC or not, but they're located in Greenwich Village. They have flavored PB. Cinnamon Raisin Swirl is possibly the most genius combination ever created. Just check out that first paragraph again. Worth. It.

I'm gonna put this out there, but peanut butter is going to officially replace cupcakes in trendy-land. I like me a red velvet from Crumbs as much as the next girl, but I'd trade it all for a big spoonful of natural PB.

No comments:

Post a Comment